Hello,

I’m using Solr 8.4. Very excited about performance improvements in 8.8:
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/2021/01/optimizations-coming-to-solr.html

As I understand the main determinator of performance and RAM usage of a terms
facet is cardinality of the field in whole collection, but not the cardinality
of field in query result.

I have a collection with 100M docs, T field has 30M unique values in entire
collection. But my query result returns only docs with 2 different T values,

{
        “q”: “some query”, //whose result has only 2 different T values
        “facet”: {
                “type”: “terms”,
                “field”: “T”,
                “limit”: 15
}

Performance and resource is still affected by 30M unique values of T right?

If this is correct, can/how “method”: “dvhash” help in this case?
If yes, does the default method “smart” take this into account and use the
dvhash, so I shouldn’t to set it explicitly?

Nice weekends
~ufuk