Hi,
following up on Charlie's detailed response I would recommend carefully
assess the code you are using to interact with Apache Solr (on top of the
Solr changes themselves).
Assuming you are using some sort of client, it's extremely important to
fully understand both the syntax and semantic of each call.
I saw a lot of "compiling ok" search-api migrations that were ok
syntactically but doing a disaster from the semantic perspective (missing
important parameters ect).

In case you have plugins to maintain this would be even more complicated
than just make them compile.

Regards
Alessandro Benedetti
Apache Lucene/Solr Committer
Director, R&D Software Engineer, Search Consultant
www.sease.io