Thank you all for the suggestions,
The OS is not windows, it's centos, a colleague thinks that even on linux
defragmenting can improve performance about 2X because it keeps the data
contiguous on disk.

We cannot use flashcache because we run solr on virtual machines.
We will investigate better on the memory suggestion by Shawn..
thank you very much.

Danilo

Danilo Tomasoni

Fondazione The Microsoft Research - University of Trento Centre for
Computational and Systems Biology (COSBI)
Piazza Manifattura 1,  38068 Rovereto (TN), Italy
tomas...@cosbi.eu<https://webmail.cosbi.eu/owa/redir.aspx?C=VNXi3_8-qSZTBi-FPvMwmwSB3IhCOjY8nuCBIfcNIs_5SgD-zNPWCA..&URL=mailto%3acalabro%40cosbi.eu>
http://www.cosbi.eu<https://webmail.cosbi.eu/owa/redir.aspx?C=CkilyF54_imtLHzZqF1gCGvmYXjsnf4bzGynd8OXm__5SgD-zNPWCA..&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.cosbi.eu%2f>

As for the European General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 on the
protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data,
we inform you that all the data we possess are object of treatment in the
respect of the normative provided for by the cited GDPR.
It is your right to be informed on which of your data are used and how; you may
ask for their correction, cancellation or you may oppose to their use by
written request sent by recorded delivery to The Microsoft Research –
University of Trento Centre for Computational and Systems Biology Scarl, Piazza
Manifattura 1, 38068 Rovereto (TN), Italy.
P Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to