Hi everyone,

First up thanks for this group, I appreciate it very much for exchanging
opinions on how to use Solr.

We built a Solr instance for one of our customers which is used for searching
data on his website.
We need to search different data (kb articles, products and external links) in
different locales.

For our logic it seemed best to separate solr Cores by topic and locale, so we
have cores like this:
kbarticle_de-de
kbarticle_en-us
products_de-de
products_en-us
links_de-de
links_en-us

First we had only 3 locales, but it grew pretty fast to 16 locales, so that
we're having 48 solr cores by now already.
There would have been different approaches for realizing this of course, so
we're wondering whether we are using Solr not in the optimal way?

We found out that when a search on a locale that was not used for some time is
started, it takes >10 seconds in many cases to execute the search.

We then find logs like this, where it seems as if Solr needs to start a
searcher first, which takes time:
2021-02-20 04:33:42.634 INFO  (Thread-20674) [   ] o.a.s.s.SolrIndexSearcher
Opening [Searcher@775f8595[kbarticles_en-gb] main]
2021-02-20 04:33:42.643 INFO  (searcherExecutor-26-thread-1) [   ]
o.a.s.c.QuerySenderListener QuerySenderListener sending requests to
Searcher@775f8595[kbarticles_en-gb]

Is that an issue? It would be good to know whether our localization approach
causes issues with Solr and whether we should restructure our core design.

Kind Regards,

Florian Krönert
Senior Software Developer

[cid:image001.gif@01D70AA4.14778350]<https://www.orbis.de/de.html>
ORBIS AG | Planckstraße 10 | D-88677 Markdorf
Phone: +49 7544 50398 21 | Mobile: +49 162 3065972 | E-Mail:
florian.kroen...@orbis.de<mailto:florian.kroen...@orbis.de>
www.orbis.de<http://www.orbis.de/>

[cid:image002.png@01D70AA4.14778350]<https://www.orbis.de/de/sap-by-orbis.html>
   [cid:image003.jpg@01D70AA4.14778350]

Registered Seat: Saarbrücken
Commercial Register Court: Amtsgericht Saarbrücken, HRB 12022
Board of Management: Thomas Gard (Chairman), Michael Jung, Stefan Mailänder,
Frank Schmelzer
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Ulrich Holzer
[cid:image004.png@01D70AA4.14778350]<https://www.facebook.com/ORBIS.AG>
[cid:image005.png@01D70AA4.14778350]
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/orbis-ag/>
[cid:image006.png@01D70AA4.14778350] <https://www.xing.com/companies/orbisag>
 [cid:image007.png@01D70AA4.14778350] <https://twitter.com/ORBIS_AG>
[cid:image008.png@01D70AA4.14778350]
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Fx5UsUy4FkzB0dfCWXwYw/featured>
[cid:image009.png@01D70AA4.14778350]

[cid:image010.png@01D70AA4.14778350]<https://www.orbis.de/de/aktuelles/news/aktuelle-presse/news-detail/article/inner-circle-award-orbis-zaehlt-erneut-zu-den-weltbesten-partnern-fuer-microsoft-business-application.html>

[cid:MicrosoftPowerPlatform_7054080f-b0bf-4e97-b9ab-55dae1373165.png]<https://www.orbis.de/de/microsoft-by-orbis/beratungskompetenz/power-platform.html?wmc=Banner-Microsoft-Power-Platform>

[cid:Microsoftallgemein_e6028b0b-75cc-43da-9046-9fec28faad6d.png]<https://www.orbis.de/de/microsoft-by-orbis.html?wmc=Banner-Microsoft-by-ORBIS>