Hi SOLR Community,

I've been trying to understand how the field cache in SOLR manages
its evictions, and it is not easily readable from the code or documentation
the simple question of when and how something gets evicted from the field
cache. This cache also doesn't show hit ratio, total hits, eviction ratio,
total evictions, etc... in the web UI.

For example: I've observed that if I write one document and trigger a query
with a sort on the field, it will generate two entries in the field cache.
Then if I repush the document, the entries get removed, but will otherwise
stay there seemingly forever. If my query matches 2 docs, same thing but
with 4 entries (2 each). Then, if I rewrite one of the docs, those two
entries go away but not the two from the first one. This obviously implies
that there are implications to write throughput performance based on this
cache, so the fact that it is not configurable by the user and doesn't have
very clear documentation is a bit worrisome.

Can someone here help out and explain how the filter cache handles
evictions, or perhaps send me the documentation if I missed it?

Thanks!
Stephen