Thanks, I think part of my issue may be I am misunderstanding how to use the
entity and field tags to import data in a particular format and am looking
for a few more examples.

Lets say I have a database table with 2 columns that contain metadata fields
and values, and would like to import this into Solr and keep the pairs
together, an example database table follows consisting of two columns
(String), one containing metadata names and the other metadata values (col
names: metadata_name, metadata_value in this example). There may be multiple
records for a name. The set of potential metadata_names is unknown, it could
be anything.

metadata_name ..... metadata_value
===========........==============
title                       blah blah
subject                  some subject
subject                  another subject
name                     some name

What is the proper way to import these and keep the name/value pairs intact.
I am seeing the following after import:

<arr name="metadata_name_s">
<str>title</str>
<str>subject</str>
<str>name</str>
</arr>
−
<arr name="metadata_value_s">
<str>blah blah</str>
<str>some subject</str>
<str>another subject</str>
<str>some name</str>
</arr>

Ideally, the end goal would be something like below:

<arr name="title_s">
<str>some subject</str>
</arr>

<arr name="name_s">
<str>some name</str>
</arr>

etc....

It feels like I am missing something obvious and this would be a common
structure for imports.