Hi,

> The project that I'd ultimately like to work on is a "generic" 3D MMOG
> client as sort of a proof-of-concept that it is possible to create a
> reasonably complex open source game that prevents/discourages > cheating.

You may be interested by Py2Play (http://oomadness.tuxfamily.org/py2play), a network
engine i have written for Soya game (though it can be used independantly too). It does
not follow a client/server model, but rather a peer to peer model.
In particular, the character's actions are computed and reproduced on ALL computers.
This makes cheating more difficult.

E.g. if someone changes the game's source code so as he doesn't die when he have 0
life points, this awful cheater won't die... on his screen. But for the other players
(which have the non-hacked code) he WILL die. It's like if the reality forks...
(philosophical implication may be interesting too, though out of subject ;-)

> I think the most important thing about Soya 3D is that it opens the
> world of 3D programming to regular people.

I think so, too. While designing it, i cared attention to ease of use more than to
speed or optimization; and i believe that Python follows similar principles. Moreover,
ease of use means more power, which means in turn more speed -- just compare Python
and Java... ;-)

And i've found several time that coding 3D game can be easier and more natural than
coding 2D game.

Another of my project, after Soya, Py2Play and Slune, is to write a "skeletal" game
that can be reused for a lots of game.

Jiba