I noticed that there are TODOs for supporting more color types, such as
grayscale, in image.c. One other thing to note is that Soya currently
assumes that any RGB image has eight bits per color. When I used
ImageMagick to convert block1.tga to a PNG file, it has 16 bits per
color, resulting in a very strange looking texture.

I don't think Soya really needs to support 16 bits per color for RGB
files, but I can imagine it would be good to support 16 or 15 bit
textures (5-6-5 or 5-5-5), which are common in games to save disk space
and video memory.

While we're on the subject, why not just use SDL-Image to handle image

Sean Lynch http://sean.lynch.tv/