Been at least a month since I've even looked at Soya3D (I want to but
have been too busy, expecting a new baby SOON).  As a learning exercise
for myself I wrote basically what you describe.  I just started with
nothing then added pieces as I went along, figuring out different
parts.  As such, it's not terribly well written, but for the most part
it works.  You can download it from my site here:

http://madison.webhouse.cc:8080/jack/programming

Sean Lynch also has (or at least had) a project that is similar in
nature, but better written.  :)

--
Jack Madison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>