Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Justin Sherrill wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Currently when you specify a port for koan it:
>>
>> 1.  Tries port 80, if that fails:
>>

> Yes, specifically it tries http://$server:80/cobbler_api_rw first, which
> is the Apache proxied endpoint.
>
> If that fails, the usage of port is for a direct connection, not using
> Apache proxying.
>
> (Also, if --server=DISCOVER is set it will try looking through Avahi
> before doing either)
>

>> 2.  Tries the port you specified.
>>

>> I'm changing it  such that it will:
>>
>> 1.  Try the port you specify, if that fails:
>> 2.  Tries port 80.
>>

>> Also, I'm adding support for SSL.  Would koan users prefer:
>>
>> a.  A '--ssl' option that tries on SSL if specified
>>

> I am not sure there is a good reason at all to let koan use SSL. All of
> the data koan retrieves is available over non-secured protocols (TFTP
> for starters, and HTTP) so there is nothing to hide. I think trying the
> specified port first makes sense.

    For spacewalk integration this is a requirement IMHO.
Spacewalk/satellite as it is today allows provisioning over pure SSL
which is a requirement for many of our customers.   I've heard many
hair-brained network security schemes from customers that require this
(not provisioning specifically, but just their traffic in general).

If you look at what just koan is doing, i agree there isn't any reason
for it to be encrypted.  If you look what koan could be a part of then
there is benefit of having the entire process be encrypted.

-Justin