On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 04:14:32PM -0500, Jesus M. Rodriguez wrote:

>> I'll appreciate if you try the new code and if you tell me your
>> thoughts.
>
> How does this compare to the build.py stuff we added?
> While I prefer the build.py (as I can work more easily with python than
> make), I don't care which one ultimately we choose.

If I'm not mistaken, Makefile.git is still the code we use. At least
that's what the wiki suggests to do if you want to (for example) get
.src.rpm from the repository. The changes I've committed this week
were long in my oven, and the primary drive was to do even old builds
right, by observing (for example) the NO_TAR_GZ at the correct time.

The Makefile.git was modelled after Makefile.svn, which was a thing
which allowed me to do 5.2.0, and which was inspired by dist-cvs.
I've picked make and Makefile primarily because dist-cvs uses that,
to be as compatible as possible with what you have in brew and koji.
(Otherwise I'd just hack it in Perl. :-P )

By now, I consider Makefile.git pretty mature, with pieces missing
mainly in the more automatic build invocation area. The reason why
I did not add this (yet) was that doing the builds manually during
5.2.0 gave us more control over what is going on where and it also
hinted the developer to actually check the build results. For
Spacewalk, the build systems we use were (are) transforming so
I really didn't know on which environment to focus. Currently, with
Mirek's build-o-setup, maybe even this need is no longer of any
urgence -- you just tag your package and it will get built for you
automatically.

I consider rewriting Makefile.git into build.py a bad idea -- it
just brings another language into the mix, it puts code to packages'
directories where the Makefile generally only has variable
definitions, plus it will take some time to stabilize. The main
concern that Devan had with Makefile.git, the readability of the
code, has hopefully been addressed with the last versions of
Makefile.git.

However, if build.py is what you guys want and what you guys will
develop and maintain, so be it. Just put the info to the wiki and
I'll switch to using that. Until that happens, I'm ready to
maintain and improve Makefile.git.

--
Jan Pazdziora | adelton at #satellite*, #brno
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat