On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 08:57:38AM -0400, Devan Goodwin wrote:

> > Actually, this AVC denial is about different problem. So it was not
> > a good example.
> >
> > But nevertheless: shouldn't we decide for env or direct path in the
> > shebang line and be consistent about it?
>
> +1. I'd go the other direction though and stick with "/usr/bin/env
> python", iirc that's considered best practice to accommodate people
> with Python installed in a weird location or using multiple versions.

If you have Python in a weird location, you probably won't have
osa-dispatcher .py files installed in its PYTHONHOME, will you? So,
the first import which assumes that the python you run actually has
all the prerequisites installed, will fail. Alternatively, mixing
different pythons and libraries from different pythons might produce
weird results because symbols referenced in one library might not be
present in the library from that second python.

We actually have (non-public) bugzilla about this very problem. I'd
argue that we should stop pretending that /usr/bin/env python will
work in the general case, any just put /usr/bin/python there. If
someone needs to run it with different interpreter, they can always do

        python /the/path/to/the/script

--
Jan Pazdziora
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat