On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 12:28:55PM +0530, Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> In the teleconference yesterday I suggested converting VARCHAR2 usage in
> Oracle schema to VARCHAR as well. But the Oracle 11g docs seem to suggest

Similar answer to the DECODE one -- while it might be a noble goal to
get away from nonstandard stuff, it would need to be QA'ed in Oracle,
and I don't think you want to delay the PostgreSQL port. In this
particular case, it even ...

> otherwise:
>
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28286/sql_elements001.htm#sthref77
>
> They keep saying VARCHAR _will_ be treated differently in _future_!!! It has
> been 20 years, I don't know when are they going to make the distinction!

... can't be done.

> I guess we have to stick with VARCHAR2 for now.

Nod. Just do s!\bVARCHAR2\b!VARCHAR! when generating the PostgreSQL
schema, for a start.

--
Jan Pazdziora
Satellite Engineering, Red Hat