On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:57:42 +0100
Jan Pazdziora <jpazdzi...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 04:55:47PM -0400, Devan Goodwin wrote:
> >
> > Working on cvs build integration for build.py and seeing some
> > cleanup that needs to happen before things start getting out of
> > hand. I'm proposing the following changes:
> >
> > 1. Make it installable via setup.py:
>
> Make     ^^^^^ what *it* installable?

build.py?

> > - - install on your system with "sudo python setup.py install"
> > - - re-run when you need to get the latest code.
>
> Why is this? Shouldn't programs be installed via rpm, always?

Because packaging up rpms for all operating systems developers use,
setting up yum repositories, getting everyone subscribed, and pushing
out packages is overkill for what we're trying to accomplish. (at least
at this point, if a yum repo becomes required then we set one up)

> > - - Doing this because tracking the code in specific branches is
> >   going to bite someone sooner or later. (something's fixed in
> > master that you need when building in another branch or repo)
> > - - Will leave thin rel-eng/bin/build.py script in place to run
> > directly from source if you really don't want to install it.
>
> Could you maybe explain what you try to achieve and how the
> behaviour will change from what Makefile.svn used to do?

Not at this point in time, I'm just starting to decipher what
Makefile.svn does and come up with a plan, need to have some long chats
with Dennis as well but essentially it will do roughly what make
release did back in svn for 5.2.

> > 2. Rename the main executable:
> > - - Really don't want to put something into /usr/bin named
> > build.py.
> > - - Was thinking 'tito', our magical rel-eng helper.
> > - - Other suggestions?
> >
> > 3. Restructure the CLI into modules like yum or cobbler:
> > - - Options now are getting convoluted in a flat list.
> > - - Doing several high level tasks that shouldn't be combined.
> > - - New interface will look like:
> >
> > tito build
> >   --tgz
> >   --rpm
> >   --srpm
> >   --test
> > tito tag-release
> >   --keep-version
> > tito report
> >   --untagged-diffs
> > tito cvs-release
> >   [options TBD]
> >
> > With options like --debug available in all modules.
> >
> > Hoping to be able to implement some of these as I go this week, so
> > they won't be landing for a little bit, but let me know if you see
> > any issues or have suggestions.
>
> I'd much rather see us having *some* way of building via dist-cvs than
> starting another refactoring of the code again.

As stated, cvs support is what I am working on.

Devan

- --
  Devan Goodwin <dgood...@redhat.com>
  Software Engineer     Spacewalk / RHN Satellite
  Halifax, Canada       650.567.9039x79267