On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:58:21 +0100
Miroslav Suchý <msu...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Devan Goodwin wrote:
> > - - Find help if you can. I honestly don't know if one person could
> > do this. With pgsql we're looking at about 6-8 full time developers
> >   working for about 6 months. If we were to extrapolate that to
> >   mysql and one person, you could easily be looking at 3 or more
> > years of full-time work. (granted some of the pgsql changes will
> > help accommodate new databases, but MySQL will also bring some added
> >   effort in porting procedures as I understand it, but the task is
> > HUGE in any case)
>
> It is no problem. His thesis can have negative conclusion ("Not
> possible with MySQL") or partial ("Not possible till MySQL implement
> this feature" or "It was huge for one man, I done this and that and
> others can continue and build upon my work"). And of course he can
> always surpris and done completely despite your presumption :)

I'm not really worried about what happens if the thesis fails, I'm
worried about what happens if it succeeds. My concern is that we don't
end up in a situation where someone spends 1.5+ years working on an
open source project, succeeds (in that the code works), submits that
work to the project and we're left scrambling to determine if the code
passes review, we can accept the added burden of maintaining and
testing a third schema, etc.

If all parties are agreed that this is purely a research project that
will likely never see the light of day, then that's fine, go to it. If
however the ultimate plan is to see this work included in Spacewalk
(which seems like the logical desire if one is to spend so much effort
working on an open source project), then there are things that should be
discussed right now to help mitigate the risk. (how do we communicate
and review work incrementally, do all parties know what will be
involved if it's successful and we accept these patches, anything
else we can do to help the task succeed)

Basically it boils down to: do we know whether or not we can accept
this work (if it is successful or partially successful) and if the
answer is no, is this communicated clearly up front. If those
questions are answered, or Matej is content to spend years working
on code that may never be used even if it's successful, then my
concerns are satisfied.

Devan

- --
  Devan Goodwin <dgood...@redhat.com>
  Software Engineer     Spacewalk / RHN Satellite
  Halifax, Canada       650.567.9039x79267