On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:37:12 -0400
Jesus Rodriguez <jes...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Today we have two commit formats. If you are fixing a bug the format
> is:
>
>  bznumber - msg
>
> If it is not a bug fix, it is just:
>
>  msg
>
> This has been working out ok so far. But we're getting more
> descriptive in our commits which is good for looking back at history
> but sucks for changelogs and 'git log --pretty=oneline'
>
> James Bowes' made reference to a summary line followed by a blank line
> then a detailed paragraph. I didn't think much of it, until I saw
> vim change colors as I was typing.
>
> http://zeusville.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/git-commit.png
>
> Here's a summary:
>
> First line would be 50 character summary (including 6 digit bug number
> if needed). Followed by a blank line, then several paragraphs
> wrapped at 72 characters.
>
> What do you think? I know 50 characters isn't much so it will force
> us to be very wise with our words in the first line. But it will
> certainly make changelogs and 'git log --pretty=oneline' much
> easier to work with.
>
> Here's another post on the subject from the Rails folks:
> http://www.tpope.net/node/106
>
> Thoughts? I suspect the lengths will cause folks to balk at this
> suggestion :)

+1 here. I try to do this in general although with longer line
lengths, I try to stick to 80 chars for first line and whatever vim
does for the rest.

If the line lengths don't fly could we agree on just a single line
summary (preferably < 72 chars), blank line, then all the details you
want. (and we don't care about the line length there)

- --
  Devan Goodwin <dgood...@redhat.com>
  Software Engineer     Spacewalk / RHN Satellite
  Halifax, Canada       650.567.9039x79267