On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:57:27 -0400 (EDT)
Greg DeKoenigsberg <g...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>
> > Right now, Spacewalk requires the Oracle RPM.  Is there a plan to
> > fix this?
> >
> > Seems like what we need is a "Provides: spacewalk-db" that can be
> > satisfied either by the right version of Postgres or the right
> > version of Oracle.

Good idea, I think the most recent discussion on the subject was in
this thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/spacewalk-devel@redhat.com/msg01757.html

> > Is this something that anyone's working on?  Because if not, it
> > seems like it's the kind of thing that we could toss out to
> > community hands -- I'm guessing that a lot of Spacewalk users have
> > experience building their own packages, and could probably hack the
> > specfiles pretty quickly.

Don't think anyone is working on it, but was raised by several people
when we sent out recent draft of how to get up and running with the
preliminary pgsql code.

> One of the useful byproducts of this work, btw, and the use case I'm
> angling for: the ability to create a kickstart/thincrust profile that
> doesn't require the use of the proprietary Oracle RPM.  The existence
> of this RPM, and the fact that Spacewalk RPMs depend upon it,
> basically make it impossible to build a kickstart file without having
> a "special" repo that contains the Oracle package.

A Spacewalk appliance is a pretty cool idea.

> I'd like to be able to run the following commands on F11:
>
> # appliance-creator --name "Spacewalk" --config spacewalk.pp
> # virt-image Spacewalk.xml
>
> And have a virtual machine with all the Spacewalk code on it.  There
> will obviously be some setup after the fact, but in the long term,
> having the ability to compress the entire install process into two
> commands will be useful.  Oracle can always be installed after the
> fact.
>
> Actually, it makes me wonder if it makes sense to have the Oracle
> dependency at all.  One of the common use cases is to have
> Spacewalk/Satellite on one machine, and the Oracle DB on an entirely
> separate machine.  How do you handle the deps in this case?

IIRC there isn't much for actual Oracle *server* deps but more so for
libraries that live on the same machine as the Spacewalk install. In
the Spacewalk case there are may be some pkgs requiring the server
somewhere but I doubt many.

Cheers,

Devan

- --
  Devan Goodwin <dgood...@redhat.com>
  Software Engineer     Spacewalk / RHN Satellite
  Halifax, Canada       650.567.9039x79267