Johannes,

Could you ensure in /usr/share/pgsql/postgresql.conf that bytea_output = 'escape', and if not see if that corrects your problem?

-Stephen

On 08/14/2012 08:57 AM, Stephen Herr wrote:
Hi Johannes,

Can you please give me more information on the system where you are experiencing this problem? We had a bug with identical symptoms where the root cause was that the defaults on how a particular object was stored (as ascii or as hex) in Postgresql changed in newer versions of the database. If that is the root cause of your problem, then it would not be safe to simply assume that we will always get hex back and expand it out to ascii, because that would generate errors for people who are running older versions of Postgresql. My cursory search has not turned up the original bug, but I will keep looking.

-Stephen