On 09/05/2013 02:26 AM, Jan Pazdziora wrote:
> Please note that this will not work -- the fact that you check content
> of some table in your session and your transaction and based on that
> run the insert operation does not mean that the other session cannot
> do exactly the same, both will find the record not there, and you will
> get the ORA-00001 anyway.

Good point: actually I was thinking about that statement being the only
one in its transaction, but that's actually not the case.

I think I will do as Thomas suggested, handling exceptions better in
order to be as safe as possible when ignoring them, yet accepting
failures in this specific case. I will be back with a patch as soon as I
have tested it.

Thanks for the discussion by the way, as problems in this topic are
traditionally difficult to handle!

Regards,
--
Silvio Moioli