Hi Everyone,

I run mail servers for about 30 companies (qmail /spamdyke 3.1.0 / Fedora
2.4.21) and started experiencing a problem whereby some users complained
that they could send an email and it was received by the recipient corrupted
multiple times in varying sizes until eventually the final version would
arrive correct in full. To cut a long story short I eventually tracked it
down from a string in a user's Outlook log "Talk faster next time". A google
revealed all. It wasn't coming from qmail but from spamdyke, which explained
why I couldn't grep it in the qmail source.

I've probably fixed it by setting "idle-timeout-secs=1200". But what worries
me is why the recipient got anything except the final good email. If
spamdyke issues that 421 error then breaks the connection, the user's
Outlook can justifiably assume that the email won't have been accepted by
the server, nor sent to the  recipient. But what seems to happen is that the
part that has been received down the pipe so far has been passed by spamdyke
to qmail-smtpd which has passed it to qmail-queue and thence to the local or
remote recipient. Surely no "250 OK 123 qp 456" has come out of qmail?

Is this a spamdyke issue or a qmail issue?

Cheers,
Chris Robinson