Well, to answer your question, spamdyke is aimed at... me.  And mail
administrators like me, I suppose. :)

Some history: The first time I installed qmail, I used the qmail
handbook by Dave Sill.  All of my previous Unix mail experience was with
Sendmail, so I didn't understand anything about qmail's design or
configuration.  I didn't even know what the term "toaster" meant (I'm
still not 100% certain about that word...).  I just followed the book's
instructions, which said (IIRC) to use netqmail 1.03, vpopmail,
qmailadmin, vqadmin and ezmlm.  I prefer working at the command line and
I'm (obviously) a programmer, so patching and compiling didn't bother
me.  I was just surprised at the necessity -- I hadn't manually
installed a major system component like a mail daemon since I switched
to RedHat 4 from Slackware in 199x.  I wouldn't have bothered with qmail
at all, but I wanted to host multiple domains on the same box and I was
sick of Sendmail's lousy virtual domain support.

Anyway, _after_ qmail was installed and in production, I learned about
some additional patches to add things like virus scanning, SpamAssassin,
etc.  However, when I tried to apply and install them, everything
broke.  No inbound or outbound email, angry users, long nights, etc.  I
finally managed to restore the system to its former state and swore
never to touch a working qmail installation again.  That's still my
motto, BTW, despite everything I've learned about qmail since that
incident.  It's just easier (and safer) to build a new server and swap
it into position.

Now here I am, running a mail server I'm scared to update.  Is there a
new version of vpopmail available?  I don't know.  I'm not even sure
what version I'm using.  Have some of the patches been updated to fix
security holes?  How would I possibly find out?  I can't remember where
I got most of them (or even which ones I used).  I don't care anyway --
I'm not going to install them, because I'm hosting Real Email for Real
Customers and my time is too precious to pick fights with qmail that
I'll probably lose.  So welcome back to the Bad Old Days of Linux system
administration.  This is why "rpm" and "apt-get" were created but DJB's
bullheaded obstinacy renders those tools useless.

That's why I say spamdyke is targeted at me.  I want filtering and
logging but I'm not willing to recompile qmail to get those things.  I
want a package that is small and self-contained, so I can upgrade it (or
use rpm/yum/up2date/apt-get) without fear of losing my job.  When I
first created spamdyke, I wanted it to (eventually) replace every qmail
patch, because it meant fewer patches would have to be applied to new
qmail installations.  Nowadays, in the presence of maintained and
preconfigured qmail distributions like QmailToaster, that need is
somewhat lessened and I can concentrate on features that aren't
available through patches (or are difficult to use or are broken).  At
the same time, I don't want to forget about the mail administrators
running 8 year old qmail installations that they're scared to touch. :)

-- Sam Clippinger