spamd...@guymerritt.com wrote:
> I am an extremely half-baked, amateur sysadmin - I really design web sites
> and host them myself, and, just barely keep a mail server running as a
> courtesy for a few design clients.  My point is that perhaps I'm missing
> something in the docs (because I'm a dope).  I wanted to start with the
> easiest possible setup.  If I read everything correctly you can set up
> configuration files with white, gray, and black lists and do all sorts of
> things but this should work - to an extent - by simply compiling, copying
> the binary to /usr/local/bin and adding a line to your qmail-smtpd/run
> file (I am using Slackware 12.1 and that file is located at
> /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run).  If I add the line suggested in the
> "INSTALL" instructions to my smtpd-run file I get tcp errors - ps -aux
> shows problems which I am not smart enough to interpret...  At any rate,
> it does not work.  I am using a call to spamhaus - would that be a
> conflict?  My current smtpd-run file looks like this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> QMAILQUEUE="/var/qmail/bin/qmail-scanner-queue"; export QMAILQUEUE
> QMAILDUID=`id -u vpopmail`
> NOFILESGID=`id -g vpopmail`
> MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`
> LOCAL=`head -1 /var/qmail/control/me`
> if [ -z "$QMAILDUID" -o -z "$NOFILESGID" -o -z "$MAXSMTPD" -o -z "$LOCAL"
> ]; then
> echo QMAILDUID, NOFILESGID, MAXSMTPD, or LOCAL is unset in
> echo /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run
> exit 1
> fi
> if [ ! -f /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts ]; then
> echo "No /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts!"
> echo "Refusing to start SMTP listener because it'll create an open relay"
> exit 1
> fi
> exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 50000000 \
> /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -R -l "$LOCAL" -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c
> "$MAXSMTPD" \
> -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp rblsmtpd -r sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org \
> /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd mail.myserver.com \
> /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /usr/bin/true 2>&1
>

> As I've said, I simply did ./configure and make and copied the binary to
> /usr/local/bin.  The I add the line detailed in the docs to the file above
> and it broke the mail server.  Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Guy Merritt
> Flint, MI

Hey Guy,

Thanks for setting the stage. Your configuration appears to be similar
to qmailrocks, so this should be easy, as I'm very familiar with
qmail-toaster (http://qmailtoaster.com) which is also a qmailrocks
derivative (although much easier to deal with than QMR).

You should indeed get rid of rblsmtpd, because spamdyke will do the same
thing for you.

Try this for you exec command lines:
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 50000000 \
      /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -R -l "$LOCAL" \
          -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c "$MAXSMTPD" \
          -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp \
      /usr/local/bin/spamdyke --config-file /etc/spamdyke.conf \
      /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd mail.myserver.com \
      /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /usr/bin/true 2>&1

I'm not sure why you have mail.myserver.com in there as a parameter to
qmail-smtpd. QMT doesn't have that, so keep it in if it works, and you
might try removing it if there's still a problem.

You'll need a spamdyke configuration file with this setup. In this case,
I've specified it as /etc/spamdyke.conf but you can make it whatever
suits you. In that file, you should have (among other things):
dns-blacklist-entry=sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
that will replace what you had in the run file for spamhaus.

If you have any further problems, please post the run file you tried, as
well as your spamdyke.conf file.

--
-Eric 'shubes'