I wonder if this idea might be extended in some way, so that if a message
from a particular IP is rejected on the basis of the recipient address being
non-existent, a badaddress counter is incremented for that ip. If badaddress
goes above X in Y seconds then either reject or more likely tempfail for Z
seconds. The Z seconds component will hopefully solve the risk of
permanently blocking an IP in the case of false positives?

Extending this still further and more generally, how about a general
blacklist to which a sending IP gets added if it fails any test other than
graylisting more than X times in Y seconds. This will reduce the number of
DNS lookups needed to deal with mass spammings from a particular IP. The
blacklist could be set to expire an IP after Z seconds. For those people
using something like the APF firewall, a simple script would allow the IPs
in the blacklist to be added to the firewall to reduce system load still
further.

I do something like the above manually. If I see loads of
DNSRBL-type/non-existent recipient/high spamassassin scores from a
particular IP I just add it to the firewall. Quite often I look up the ISP
and block their entire IP ranges, especially if they are in certain parts of
the world. After a few weeks or months I remove the IPs.

In this way I reduce the number of lookups needed and reduce the system
load. It would be nice to automate this (obviously SD won't be able to look
at SA scores) in some way.

I wonder of something like ossec-hids or bfd might be able to help identify
IPs that send multiple messages identified as spam by spamassassin?

Faris.