Dear all,

I've been happily using the DENIED_SENDER_NO_MX option for years with no
problems.

Yesterday, however, 24 hours after finally upgrading to 4.2.0 from a
previous 4.x version (sorry -- not sure which - possibly 4.0.6), I noticed
an oddity in my logs (redacted to protect the innocent).

Basically an email from some...@sending-domain.com   to
u...@local-domain.com  was DENIED_SENDER_NO_MX (sending IP's rDNS was
mail.sending-domain.com)

sending-domain.com DOES have an MX record but mail.sending-domain.com does
not.

I had always thought that the MX lookup applies to sending-domain.com and
not to the rDNS of the sending IP. My logic is that there are legitimate
reasons why the rDNS on a sending IP might not have an MX record, but no
really good reason why the actual domain in the From line in the envelope
would not have an MX record.

So....is this some sort of a one-off DNS failure, a misunderstanding on my
part, a bug or none of the above?

While I'm here, and because I've not posted for years in this group, my
sincere thanks go to Sam for Spamdyke which has to be the most essential
add-on for qmail in existence. It is people like you to tip the balance of
the Internet from lawless and scary to wonderful and magic.

Thanks,

Faris.