Do you know for sure that they're coming from an external source? Could
it be an infected machine that's sending them?

In either case, I don't know of a way to throttle a user's activity. I
would check the logs for the offending account(s), and change the
password(s).

Also, be sure that no passwords are ever sent in the clear.

I wouldn't expect that fail2ban would be of much help, as there's no
failure. I could be wrong about this though.

I like the way that gmane.org handles this sort of thing. It throttles
user submissions such that it only allows one message to be relayed
every 5 minutes per account. It does accept them, but simply queues them
up and sends them on at a slower pace. I'd like to see a patch to
qmail-remote that would do such a thing, but I'm not aware of one.
Wouldn't be too terribly difficult to code I would think.

--
-Eric 'shubes'