I can see I have some reading to do.  Thanks.

On 11/1/2013 1:32 PM, Gary Gendel wrote:
Prefetch is evil and is disabled by default in illumos based distributions (in newer versions it is enabled for scrubs since these are sequential in nature and can get a performance boost).  I'm talking about the Adaptive Replacement Cache (ARC).  This uses various metrics such as lru to determine what to keep in RAM. As long as there is enough RAM, it will keep things cached forever.