I had one of my email users accounts compromised this morning and have been thinking of what could have prevented hundreds of thousands of spams from going out all within a 2 minute window.

Is there any way possible to limit the number of emails that a single authenticated user can send within a specified period of time?

Fortunately I was awake and an alarm alerted me to an enormous mail queue and I was able to quickly change the compromised password. But not until over 400,000 messages got queued. I dumped the queue immediately but time will tell how many blacklists my IP ends up on because of this.

--
Les Fenison
www.DeltaTechnicalServices.com <https://www.deltatechnicalservices.com>