The recipient validation system (just) follows qmail's procedure for
determining where to send a message (the same procedure used by qmail-smtpd,
qmail-send and qmail-local).  In other words, it starts with rcpthosts, tracks
through virtualdomains, parses through the "assign" cdb file and finally ends
up looking at the home directory of the user (virtual or real).  Once there, it
reads .qmail files to figure out where the message will go and verifies the
location is real before the message is accepted.  If the .qmail file gives a
forwarding address, the whole process is repeated to make sure the destination
address is valid.

If the user is controlled by vpopmail, it will verify the address (or alias)
using the vpopmail binaries.  I don't know anything about kerio; is that a
vpopmail competitor?

-- Sam Clippinger