both get the job done, but have different effect on the OLL edges.
I'm trying to pay attention to this as I insert the last F2L pair to
anticipate (and manipulate) what kind of OLL I'll end up with, but
that's about where I'm at as a cuber.

--- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Aron Stansvik"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Oh I forgot one question I meant to ask. When I'm inserting the F2L
> pair, I seem to do it not like what is normally described. For
> instance: U R U' R' .. when I do: R' F R F'.. Is there something
> inherently better with the first approach? Maybe I'm holding the
cube
> a bit differently..
>
> Aron
>
> On 3/23/06, kirk83616 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Welcome, Aron
> >
> > I tried that method (printing out the F2L algs and looking at the
> > sheet as I did them).  everyone learns differently, but for me
that
> > didn't help because there were just too many and I just got
> > confused.  better approach for me was to learn a few at a time
and
> > also explore intuitively so I understood what the alg does.  Also
> > helpful is meeting up with other cubers to learn from them
directly--
> > don't know where you are, but these days it seems odds are good
> > there's another cuber somewhere relatively close.
> >
> > I don't know all of the algs, but I know enough for where I'm at
as
> > a cuber.  If you learn a handful really well, and you get a case
for
> > an alg you don't know yet, with very little practice you can
usually
> > manipulate it rather easily into a case for which you do know the
> > alg.  [I suppose that could be viewed as knowing an alg for that
> > case, just not an optimal alg].
> >
> > Good luck!
> > --Kirk
> >
> > --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Aron Stansvik"
> > <elvstone@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello cubeheads!
> > >
> > > This is my first mail to the list, I just joined yesterday.
I'm 22
> > > years old and solved the cube for the first time a few months
ago,
> > > using a beginner layer-by-layer method. I haven't started my
> > > speedcubing carrier very intensively, just cubing a little
here and
> > > there, so my average is around 60 seconds, still with the
beginner
> > > method.
> > >
> > > Recently I started looking at improving my cross speed,
solving the
> > > cross in D and the Fridrich F2L algos. If any of you wickedly
fast
> > out
> > > there can remember what it was like when you first learned the
F2L,
> > > and have any tips/suggestions et.c. you're more than welcome to
> > share
> > > them with me.
> > >
> > > At first I started with having the algos for the 41 cases
beside
> > me,
> > > printed on a piece of paper.. But the last couple of days I'm
> > starting
> > > to think that it's better to work out them out intuitively.
What
> > was
> > > your approach? Trying to figure them out by myself, it feels
as if
> > > learn them better, as if they "stick" better in my head, but
I'm
> > > worried that often I make unneccessary moves, that could fast
turn
> > > into a bad habit.
> > >
> > > Anyway, glad I found this fine sport. It kills off time when
I'm
> > > sitting in my bookshop with no customers ;)
> > >
> > > I'm sure there are more questions for this list that I've
thought
> > of,
> > > but can't remember at the moment.
> > >
> > > Best regards,