Hi,
I use the same method as Gunnar (except that I hold the white centers
on the right face after building the white and yellow centers). If I
am in shape I can do sub-14 avg for the centers. During the centers I
also try to look ahead, so that I can make my next step so easy as
possible. But my weak point is that I can't start with every color, I
can only start with white or yellow.

Michael Fung

--- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, "Gunnar Krig"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> My average for the centers is around 15 seconds, so you may be faster
> than that, ubt I can tell you what my approach is.
>
> First I build the white and yellow centers on opposite sides, then I
> build whatever center that seems fast to build, having the yellow
> centers to the right. I have remembered the order that the colors are
> coming in if I rotate the cube along the x-axis, Green-Red-Blue-Purple
> (Meffert's color scheme), and I build them in that way.
>
> Piece of cake... :-D
>
> /Gunnar Krig
>
> --- In speedsolvingrubikscube@yahoogroups.com, cmhardw <no_reply@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > I've been working a lot on my 4x4x4 edges method and I have found a
> > new approach that I really like a lot and have switched to.
> >
> > I used to use only RDdL turns to pair up my edges, and occasionaly I
> > would change my storage and pairing layers if I saw something better
> > to pair.
> >
> > Then I saw that Yuki (from what I have seen on his videos, and again
> > I could be wrong) seems to use RuUL turns to do most of his pairing.
> >
> > I tried doing this and often got fast times, but sometimes I would
> > still have slow edges because of not being able to find a piece I
> > needed.
> >
> > Then I tried mixing the best parts of both and I have to say I like
> > this better.  I now view the edges in a way of just trying to pair
> > two edges up.  I do this however is convenient based on how I am
> > holding the cube.  So I mostly use rUudDL moves to do my pairing.  I
> > also move around the cube a lot and don't stick to just the d and u
> > layers to pair.  If I see other pieces I like somewhere else I
> > switch to them instead of sticking with my 2 pair chain like on my
> > 4x4x4 speed solve solution page.
> >
> > My philosopy used to be to be a little less efficient but to have a
> > mindless process that I can do without having to think.  Now I like
> > to make it a little more efficient, and add a little more thought
> > into it, but it seems to be working so far.
> >
> > I don't know what my times will be doing it this way, but I can only
> > hope it will be faster.  I feel like getting a sub-60 solve this way
> > is much easier than with my old method, and I've even gotten a sub-
> > 60 double parity solve using this new approach, so I want to work on
> > it.
> >
> > I don't know if others use this idea, but my philosophy has changed
> > for 4x4 edges.  I now just pair up whatever I see, instead of
> > following a rigid chain like I used to.
> >
> > Not sure if anyone already does this, but I feel like I can improve
> > and move past the barrier I am at by trying this.
> >
> > Hope this helps for anyone interested in the 4x4x4.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > P.S.  Now if only I could stop being lazy and work on my centers,
> > they're 2-3 seconds slower than most people I've talked to :-(  Does
> [...]

Yahoo! Groups Links