Right, my problem is EXACTLY that. It works perfect in Win98 and I'm even
running ICS for my home network for the night just until I can get back to
regular NAT.

You sound like you're using the kernel space drivers. I have tried them as
well as the user space, both without any luck. The lights are the same here
too, both green -- the firmware is never uploaded so the ADSL light never
flashes like it's suppose to.

As for kernel compilation it should only be nesscary if your distribution
kernel hasn't got the required pppoa/n_hdlc and speedtch modules included. As
far I know the speedtch driver was included in 2.4.23, so pressuming you're
running a recent distribution kernel (from Mandrake, or SuSE for instance) it
should be fine.

I wasn't aware you needed BOTH mgmt.o and alcudsl.sys. From my past
experience, it's an either or situation. For arguments sakes however:

http://download.ethomson.com/download/speedmgmt.tar.gz

is the package which builds mgmt.o.

My question about colour was simple. Two days ago my red Speedtouch 330
failed. I was told it was a reconised fault and given a new one on warrenty.
Today it arrived, but it was silver. I plugged it in just as my previous one
was and logically it should all start up fine -- seeing as they're the same
product. That wasn't the case and as I am seeing now it's proving impossible
to load the firmware from any of the free [libre] drivers. It just makes me
wonder if they maybe have made slightest modification to the silver modems
causing the drivers not to work. That's just a cloud in the sky though.

This is a problem caused by Alactel -- that is for sure. If they were to
document their hardware specifications and release the source code for their
firmware I can assure them they'd get a much great response for their
products. It's the way forward, they just need to embrace it.

I'll keep hunting for a solution, and I hope you do too. We really need one of
the developers to confirm one of our theories in order to make real progress.

Talk to you later,
Martin

- --