Hi,
I have spend a lot of time but I succeed, I was able to found a solution
for Linux 2.6.X kernel. The problem isn't in the speedtouch drivers but
in the kernel.

To use the modem, you just need to modify one file :
drivers/usb/core/usb.c

In function "usb_driver_release_interface" (at line 327 in
2.6.1-rc1-mm1), you just need to comment :

usb_set_interface(interface_to_usbdev(iface),
                        iface->altsetting[0].desc.bInterfaceNumber,
                        0);

The full function :

void usb_driver_release_interface(struct usb_driver *driver, struct
usb_interface *iface)
{
        /* this should never happen, don't release something that's not ours */
        if (!iface || !iface->driver || iface->driver != driver)
                return;

        if (iface->dev.driver) {
                /* FIXME should be the ONLY case here */
                device_release_driver(&iface->dev);
                return;
        }

/*      usb_set_interface(interface_to_usbdev(iface),
                        iface->altsetting[0].desc.bInterfaceNumber,
                        0);*/
        usb_set_intfdata(iface, NULL);
        iface->driver = NULL;
}

Note:
I think it will work on every kernel (tested on 2.6.0-test3 and on the
lastest)

Laurent