I managed to fix it with a little coding, it seems to have fixed the
syslogd errors as well, should I post a patch?

What I did was in the while (1) loop I made an int called checkstate,
what this does is when the modem gets a ret with >0 i.e. 'error reading
interupt' it sets checkstate to 1, and this then is used later to skip
the 'line checking' if block, ontop of that I added usleep(1) to where
the interupt error report line was and removed the error report
completly. seems to have fixed it totally, no syslogd problems, speed is
back normal