Hello

First of all, I want to give a big thanks to this website for those
helpful instructions to set up speedtouch modem on linux!

I'm writting here because I recently upgraded to a new computer with
64 bits and I had a problem when setting it up now (it was working
perfectly on my old computer). Since I managed to fix it I'm going to
share the results by you. The instructions I've followed were [1].

Well, my SuSe installation is now 64 bits, and the problem is with the
br2684ctl bridging utility, since it's linked against 32bits libraries
that are missing on my system. E.g.: when executing it, it throws
"br2684ctl: error while loading shared libraries: libatm.so.1: cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory", even though
libatm.so.1 is installed on the system.

The solution is to download the br2684ctl utility linked against 64
bit libraries, I tried to compile it myslef from the source code
provided, but it was giving errors anyway. I got the 64 bit version
from [2]. It's from a debian package, but it works perfectly on my
openSuSE 12. Simply extract the binary from the package and use it
instead of the one provided by linux-usb.org website.

To linux-usb.org website administrators: You may want to extract the
br2682ctl utility from the link [2] and add it to your website for 64
bit users!

The only thing that I have problems now is getting the script running
at the startup. For some weird reason, executing the script directly
from the shell as root works perfectly, but when added at the startup
scripts of the system (executed after all networking services, etc)
the br2684ctl fails:

  /usr/sbin/br2684ctl  br2684ctl[2026]: Interface "nas0" created sucessfully
  br2684ctl[2026]: Communicating over ATM 0.8.32, encapsulation: LLC
  br2684ctl[2026]: Fatal: failed to connect on socket; No such device

Unlike other users reporting that the interface nas0 wasn't created,
ifconfig displays it but down and with hwaddr of 0.

It's a minor annoyance having to call the script manually, but it
works after all. If anyone had that problem and found the solution,
don't hesistate to share :)

----
links:

[1] http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/suse/index.html