==> Two new deep caves discovered in Tasmania.
FromWorld Caving News http://www.zenas.gr/WCN => 11 Apr. 2006.Recent
explorations in the Florentine Valley in Tasmania have uncovered two new deep
caves.  The first one explored, Pooshooter  (JF 268) reached a depth of 159 m.
The current exploration in another cave, Tachycardia (JF 270) has reached a
depth of 203 m with a partially descended greater than 45 m pitch.  Once this
is surveyed this cave willbe in the top ten deepest in Australia.  The cave is
also notable for having one of the most spectacularly well formed and scenic
rift pitchs in Tasmania call Art Deco.More information will be available in the
Speleo Spiel.Cheers,Gavin Brett and Alan Jackson.Southern Tasmanian
CaverneersSource: ozcavers mailing list
http://www.zenas.gr/site/home/eng_detail.asp?iData=4180

==> Is it really the Gospel truth?
FromWorld Caving News http://www.zenas.gr/WCN => 11 Apr. 2006.The Gospel of
Judas, whose crumbling fragments were found in an Egyptian cave by illiterate
peasants in the 1970s - and whose exact contents were finally revealed at a
press conference in Washington - is one of the most exciting archaeological
discoveries for decades.Source:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/04/08/wjudas08.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/04/08/ixworld.html
http://www.zenas.gr/site/home/eng_detail.asp?iData=4179

==> Restoration Field Camp at Grand Caverns
FromWorld Caving News http://www.zenas.gr/WCN =>  11 Apr. 2006.Hi Everyone,It's
only 2 weeks until the annual Easter Restoration Field Camp at Grand Caverns,
Grottoes, Virginia. Welcome to all and welcome back to you regulars who show up
to help every year.We finally got a list of "chores" that we will work on
during the weekend:* Algae removal in the cave (some places will require a
little more than usual elbow grease)* Spreading of stone in the cave, along the
guided tour route (IOW, the gravel hauling express that we all know and love!)*
Replacement of some bulbs in lighting system that have been hard reach with
limited staff* Construction of some flower boxes that will be used as barriers
along the edge of the hill and around the staircase up at the Giftshop*
Trimming and pruning of vines and some brush along the road/path that leads up
to the Giftshop and caverns entrance* Resetting the chain link fence around the
horseshoe pits (was drug down by our fall flood)With everyone's help, we should
be able to knock most of this out in one day.  Bring shovels and rakes and
other implements of destruction.  Don't forget work gloves!  And bring an extra
helmet and headlamp if you have one--some of our helpers are not cavers but
might like to "take a tour."Lunch and dinner is compliments of the VAR
Conservation Committee; Andy is cooking up something GOOD that evening.  The
usual fun is planned for after the work is finished. Camping is free
on-site.Thanks and hope to see you there!MeredithDirections to Grand
Caverns:Take I-81, Exit 235 onto SR 256, Traveling East  Travel East on SR256
for 7 miles to Grottoes. At the intersection of Dogwood Avenue, turnSouth  on
Dogwood. Travel South on Dogwood Ave. for 1,000 ft. TurnRight into the Entrance
of Grand Caverns .Phone (888) 430-2283.For more information contact VAR
Conservation Co-Chairs:Andy Reeder, 840 Twin Lakes Rd., Green Bay, VA.
23942,(W) ...
http://www.zenas.gr/site/home/eng_detail.asp?iData=4178

==> Pre-historic Teen Males Prone to Cave Art...or Graffiti?
FromWorld Caving News http://www.zenas.gr/WCN => 11 Apr. 2006.Cave wall or
brick-covered alley, a boy is simply gonna look to leave a tag.  Excerpt from
Discovery.com article:Testosterone-fueled boys created most prehistoric cave
art, according to a recently published book by one of the world's leading
authorities on cave art. The theory contradicts the ...Source:
http://thinklab.typepad.com/think_lab/2006/04/prehistoric_tee.html
http://www.zenas.gr/site/home/eng_detail.asp?iData=4177

==> New mushrooming/berry picking regulations set at Mammoth Cave
FromWorld Caving News http://www.zenas.gr/WCN => 11 Apr. 2006.In the last year,
Mammoth Cave National Park has amended its Superintendent's Compendium, the
document which establishes park-specific regulations to the Service-wide Code
of Federal Regulations. One of the changes involves collection of mushrooms and
berries within the park.Source:
http://www.newsdemocratleader.com/articles/2006/04/10/news/farm_news/fnews06.txt
http://www.zenas.gr/site/home/eng_detail.asp?iData=4176

==> Remembering Blake and Jenn
FromWorld Caving News http://www.zenas.gr/WCN => 11 Apr. 2006.In memoriam of
Blake Donner and Jen Galbraith, a benefit concert will be held Saturday, April
15 for the Donner-Galbraith Memorial scholarship fund.Donner and Galbraith were
two of the four people involved in a drowning accident last August in a Provo
mountain cave. In order for this scholarship to be permanently implemented, the
concert has to raise $30,000.Source:
http://www.netxnews.net/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/04/09/4437f6d42cc42
http://www.zenas.gr/site/home/eng_detail.asp?iData=4181

SpeleoUnion http://groups.google.ru/group/SpeleoUnion