==> The origin of the word SPELUNKING.
FromWorld Caving News http://www.zenas.gr/WCN => 7 Sep. 2006. While I was
looking for something else in my library, I ran across the following note about
the origin of the word SPELUNK. It was posted to Caver's Digest e-mail list in
June 1997.  I've OCRed it from paper copy.  Bill Mixon. Although its use may
indeed date to antiquity, in America it seems to have come into existence in
the 20th century. More specifically, as Mixon notes, it seems to have been
popularized by Clay Perry in his 1939 NEW ENGLAND'S BURIED TREASURE and his
1948 UNDERGROUND EMPIRE, which are books about the caves of, respectively, New
England and New York. Perry was a newspaperman and often more concerned with
writing a good story than getting all the facts straight, but his books still
serve as a basic reference for Northeastern caving. Somewhere in one or both of
those books I believe Perry credits Roger Johnson with inventing the term
SPELUNK but I can't find the reference right offhand. However, I have a carbon
copy of a letter from Roger Johnson, of Springfield, Mass., written to the late
Pete Hauer, then editor of Boston Grotto's MASS. CAVER, and mailed to me on
July 25, 1966. In the 1930s Johnson was Chief Spelunker of the New England
Spelunkers Grotto, according to Perry. Johnson discussed a Vermont cave I'd
written an article on and which he had visited in 1928 with his famous brother
Irving (who sailed seven times around the world) and others. Near the end of
the letter Johnson says: " By the way I was the one who invented the words
spelunking and spelunker partly because my crawling around in the little New
England caves for the fun of it did not seem worthy of the name Speleologist.".
Chuck Porter. via Bill Mixon | Texas Cavers Mailing list.
http://www.zenas.gr/site/home/eng_detail.asp?iData=4912

SpeleoUnion http://groups.google.ru/group/SpeleoUnion