On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Roger Binns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Alaric Haag wrote:
>> So, I'm considering using it to make a "lab manual" to document all
>> sorts of things we do, mostly NOT related to Python. I like the idea
>> that one "document" can serve both as an on-line resource, and as a
>> printed "book".
>
> You should also strongly consider a wiki as that allows anyone to update
> the content and doesn't require a central gatekeeper(*).  Most wikis
> have some sort of extension for producing a PDF.
>
> If you like the rst syntax then it looks like Trac can work with it.

Does Trac have an extension for producing a PDF? I haven't heard of
one. If one of Alaric's requirements is to have a printed book, then
that would be a downside to using Trac.

> I found several mailing list messages about using Sphinx with Trac but
> couldn't quite work out what they were trying to achieve.

I haven't seen the threads in question, but it may be that they were
trying to use the ReST macro in Trac to display ReST files that are
stored in SVN, while also using those files with Sphinx. The trick is
that inter-file references work differently in those two cases. This
scenario is less wiki-ish, in that you need SVN commit permission to
edit the content.

> (*) Other people have the opinion that good documentation can only be
> produced by a central expert and gatekeeper.  Wikipedia is counter
> evidence ...

True, but even wikis need somebody to be responsible for maintaining
structure and consistency. These people may be self-appointed (as for
Wikipedia) if the user base is large enough. But for a small user base
like a lab, such a person needs to be explicitly designated.

--Janet