-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Evans
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 8:04 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [splint-discuss] Why require specific versions of automake
and aclocal? (fwd)

I asked Tim Van Holder, who contributed the autoconf and automake build
files for splint, to answer these questions.  His explanation is below.
If anyone can contribute further improvements to the build process, they
are appreciated.

Hmm - I'm not sure - I don't remember requiring 1.6 specifically. In any
case, if there is such a test, then it probably requires 1.6 *or
higher*.  Given that I was using 1.6 at the time it seems plausible I
added the 'at least 1.6 needed' requirement to avoid issues if a feature
I used did not exist in earlier versions. Also, automake is up to 1.7.x
now (possibly even 1.8), so I don't think there's a big problem here. Of
course, if the requirement is lowered to 1.5 or 1.4 and everything still
works, then that's fine.

Actually, scratch all that - I just checked the CVS repository at
splint.sf.net.  Neither configure, nor Makefile.am, requires automake
1.6.  configure simply requires automake (any version) and the
Makefile.am files specify that automake 1.5 or higher is required (and
everyone should have automake 1.5 or higher). However, the CVS
repository also contains automake output, and automake 1.6 and up have
the understandable but annoying habit to hardcode their own version into
the makefiles (so that you can have automake 1.6, 1.7 and 1.8 installed
on the same machine without version conflicts with its runtime, and the
package will keep using the same automake version until you rerun
configure). Whether or not automake and autoconf output should be
included in CVS is a (mostly) a matter of taste - my opinion is that if
someone gets a product out of CVS they can be reasonably expected to
have some minimal development environment set up. In fact, that's what
the bootstrap script is for - after a CVS checkout, you run it to have
autoconf & co run and prepare the tree for compilation. In source
tarballs, you can safely include the autoconf & automake output - a
non-developer will never modify configure.ac or Makefile.am and so is
never faced with having to run any version of autoconf or automake. So I
would suggest removing configure, aclocal.m4 and all automake generated
Makefile.in files from the CVS repository.  Alternatively, add a note to
README that running the bootstrap script is recommended after a CVS
checkout. In case this message came from someone building from a source
tarball without having modified any of the autoconf or automake input,
there may be some flaw in the splint release procedure - but a make dist
(which I assume is used) normally ensures everything builds, so that
seems unlikely.

If there are any further questions, feel free to ask.