Wow, thanks for this, Paul.  It's great to see others coming out so strongly
against the publishing mafia.

So what can we do about it?   Send our articles to Hakan Gur's Journal of
Sports Science and Medicine http://www.jssm.org/ or similar open-access
journals?  Hakan's page charges are very reasonable compared with other
open-access journals. If we do that, we will also have to wrest control of
our academic careers from the bean counters who insist on taking into
account the impact factors of the journals.  As we all know, what matters is
not the impact of the journal but the impact of the article.  Assessing the
impact of an article is easy: it's the eventual maximum rate of its citation
in other articles, although in our discipline you have to be careful to use
Google Scholar and not PubMed or other databases slanted toward the
traditional disciplines and journals with ISI impact factors.

Will
Will G Hopkins, PhD FACSM
Contact info: http://sportsci.org/will
Sportscience: http://sportsci.org