From: Fpdcdesign <fpdcdes...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2024 9:38 AM
To: Sprinklerforum <sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org>
Subject: [Sprinklerforum] BFP Forward flow test design

I am working on a re-design of a system where I need to include a provision for
doing a forward flow test for the backflow preventer (4”). Due to space issues,
I would like to do a by-pass around the check valve to the FDC. Is there a
problem with this due to the clappers in the FDC?

Also, the building is Residential or Light Hazard and the maximum demand flow
is around 250 gpm. If I have to add another outlet for the test, would a single
2-1/2” FDC be acceptable? Unfortunately, I am not aware of any way to predict
what would be required. Is there any rule of thumb for the design of these
things?

Todd G Williams, PE
Fire Protection Design/Consulting
Stonington, CT