George,

I believe I see the confusion here.

The figure in the annex illustrates that the sprinkler system is to extend into the open space 0.6 x sqrt of the remote area,  and it also provides guidance that any fire in the high ceiling area is only "expected to open sprinklers 1.2...." which is the means to determine the remote area in §28.2.4.2.1

Actually, the title of the figure is sort of explanatory - "Extension of Sprinkler System Above Drop Ceiling."  Emphasis on "extension."

at least that's my take on this matter,
Ken Wagoner, SET
Parsley Consulting
500 West Mechanic Street