Michael Bayer wrote:
> we generally leave autocommit turned off on the DBAPI connections (which
> implies theres always a transaction in progress).  you might want to see
> if a straight psycopg2 connection, with autocommit turned on, can even
> do this.  through SA, you can get at the underlying connection and do
> the same thing or we can add a flag of some kind.

Plain psycopg2 connection work for me.

import psycopg2.extensions
conn = database.metadata.engine.connect()
conn.connection.connection.set_isolation_level(psycopg2.extensions.ISOLATION_LEVEL_AUTOCOMMIT)
conn.execute('VACUUM FULL ANALYZE;')

The only mess is that this is not db independent anymore. Anyway, as
VACUUM is not db independent this solves my problem satisfactorily.

Thanks a lot for the hint!

Further more is it sufficient to call

conn.close()

after the above code to keep the internal state of SA untouched?

--
Cheers, Sol.