I need to implement an indexu-style category tree of arbitrary depth:

 News & Media (64)
 Arts and Humanities, Automotive, Business....

 Recreation & Sports (234)
 Amusement and Theme Parks, Automotive, Aviation....

 Reference (32)
 Acronyms and Abbreviations, Almanacs, Arts and Humanities....

Product items with arbitrary properties will be associated with
multiple product categories. The eventual rendering will be in
TurboGears or Django, the database postgresql.

Being new to both sqlalchemy and SQL tree models, I'd like to start by
learning the proper nomenclature: What is this data structure called,
particularly in sqlalchemy parlance?

I'd imagine this is a fairly common pattern in applications built on
top of sqlalchemy. Can anyone direct me to a python/sqlalchemy
open-source project using this kind of category directory, so that I
can study their implementation? I'm hoping to properly utilize
sqlalchemy to manage parent-child relationships (especially for moving
nodes), so that I don't end up parsing a stored string path field or
anything naive.

Thanks for any suggestions.