Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This kind of works, but there are a few problems:
>
>   - The 'owners' variable on the Game type only contains Vehicle
> objects. I'd like it to contain the correct sub-class if possible.

When a row is received SQLAlchemy would need to know what type that row
is, in order to dispatch to the correct class.  SQLA currently uses a
discriminator column for that purpose, so you'd have to find some way to
have a column in the result set (or an expression) which can be used in
this way.

>   - I've had to repeat all the fields from the base class in the
> sub-classes. Otherwise, I'd get errors using those attributes, even
> though VehicleCar and VehicleBus both inherits form Vehicle.

Well SQLA doesn't have any direct support for PG INHERITS, and the fact is
that concrete inherits means that each Table repeats each common column
specifically - one reason why concrete inheritance is widely considered to
be the most cumbersome form of relational inheritance.  There was a trac
ticket requesting that the columns "inherit" the way they do with a
simpler single- or joined- table setup, but at the end of the day that
request was asking for some very complex magic to occur.  Your database
expresses distinct columns at the public DDL level, even though INHERITS
means theyre the "same", so SQLA keeps it simple and would like you to
express them in the same way as what it will see when talking to the DB.

>   - Setting a 'backref' on the relation() on VehicleCar and VehicleBus
> results in an error (the Owner object already has an 'owners' field)

there is documentation on how to address concrete backrefs, using the
"back_populates" keyword:
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/05/mappers.html#using-relations-with-inheritance

> I feel like I may've missed something here, though. Any suggestions on
> how to do this better?

unfortunately we haven't attempted to smoothly integrate with PG's
INHERITS.   It may or may not require additional complexity and would
provide a feature that would not work on any of the other half dozen
databases we support.  My understanding is that INHERITS is usually used
in practice to provide transparent "sharding" of table data and not
necessarily to express class hierarchies, but this is strictly anecdotal
knowledge.    I'm actually encouraged that you've gotten it to work
somewhat reasonably.