On Jul 8, 2010, at 6:30 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm a bit surprised to find that you have to ask for the new C extensions in
> 0.6 to be explicitly compiled.
>
> It also appears that the way of requesting this isn't compatible with build
> tools like a pip requirements file or buildout.
>
> What was the reason for that? If it was purely in case the extensions
> wouldn't compile on python, then why not take the optimistic-but-safe
> approach of extensions like zope.interface:
>
> http://svn.zope.org/zope.interface/trunk/setup.py?view=auto

we wanted to annoy buildout/setuptools/Glyph as much as possible, and I am
happy to say we succeeded.

the approach is taken directly from that of Genshi templates, except we
reversed the default , so that the C extensions are not built by default.

The issue of them not building by default wasn't that they might not build,
just that they have not been widely tested, and its C code, and we really
didn't want people complaining that SQLAlchemy makes their application core
dump.   It was overly cautious.   Not sure if we'd want to change this default
midway through 0.6 or wait til 0.7.