On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Etienne Rouxel
<rouxel.etie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
> In my program, I was trying to guess why so many SQL queries were sent while
> some could have been avoided with the help of the identity map.
> So, I reduced my program to what is below and wrote 3 times the same
> query.get call and 3 SQL queries were sent to the database server.
> Why does SQLAlchemy send 3 times the SQL while it could have done it only 1
> time for the first call and use the identity map for the 2 last calls?
>
> from sqlalchemy import *
> from sqlalchemy.orm import *
> from sqlalchemy.ext.declarative import declarative_base
> Base = declarative_base()
>
> _descriptiontype_table = Table('descriptiontype', Base.metadata,
>         Column('id', Integer, primary_key=True),
>         Column('refno', Integer),
>         Column('sortindex', Integer),
>         Column('designation', String),
>         schema='botany'
>     )
>
> class Descriptiontype(Base):
>     __table__ = _descriptiontype_table
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
>
>     engine = create_engine('postgresql://user@localhost:5432/mydatabase')
>     Session = sessionmaker(bind=engine)
>     session = Session()
>
>     session.query(Descriptiontype).get(-2147483648)
>     session.query(Descriptiontype).get(-2147483648)
>     session.query(Descriptiontype).get(-2147483648)

I suspect each object is being garbage collected before the next query
runs, because you aren't saving a reference to it. Try something like
this:

d1 = session.query(Descriptiontype).get(-2147483648)
d2 = session.query(Descriptiontype).get(-2147483648)
d3 = session.query(Descriptiontype).get(-2147483648)
assert (d1 is d2) and (d2 is d3)

Simon