On 6/30/14, 7:03 PM, Mike Bayer wrote:

> there's a little bit of a glitch here, however in any case, the ORDER
> BY would be from E.Engineer.specialty.
>
> The glitch is that the subq load at the moment seems to need an
> additional hint as to what its selecting from:
>
> session.query(E).select_from(E).options(subqueryload(E.cars)).order_by(E.Engineer.specialty).first()
>
> will look into that.

OK, for now
session.query(E).select_from(E).options(subqueryload(E.cars)).order_by(Engineer.specialty).first()
is fine (don't need E.Engineer in the order_by), the issue is
https://bitbucket.org/zzzeek/sqlalchemy/issue/3106/subquery-load-on-with_polymorphic-entity
and with the patch there once I get tests in, the query will work as you
had it originally.