Looking at that issue, and suggested fix... I think you're best going with
that route.  the stock apple Python is usually pretty bad, and it seems to
be the compile settings apple selected, not python.  apple's version is
often VERY out of date and has some weird settings.   It's screwed me and
colleagues up a lot. I'd strongly suggest you do the following:

1. Install a second, custom python [ you can get one from Python.org in a
click-installer https://www.python.org/download/mac ].  You can then update
your bash so that your console user will use that python, and not break
anything on your mac.

2. reinstall all pyodbc and everything else into that custom python's
site-packages.  you actually need to do all this stuff whenever you have a
version bump (2.7.7 to 2.7.8), but some packages magically work even if you
don't.

i've found that "shit just works" when you use a python.org interpreter.