the guidelines we have are in a README you can see here:

https://github.com/zzzeek/sqlalchemy/blob/master/README.dialects.rst

however, the best way to really get into the methods and things is to look at the existing dialects and see what they are doing. we don't have extensive documentation on each area to be dealt with from a developer standpoint.