Hi, I want to use a discriminator based upon a column of a related table.

I found the relevant place in the
docs
http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/orm/inheritance.html#joined-table-inheritance

"The discriminator column is only needed if polymorphic loading is desired,
as is usually the case. It is not strictly necessary that it be present
directly on the base mapped table, and can instead be defined on a derived
select statement that’s used when the class is queried; however, this is a
much more sophisticated configuration scenario"

However this is not working for me, additionally I found this stackoverflow
question which also encounters this problem to a tee.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40862634/sqlalchemy-orm-polymorphic-on-from-relationship

What is the correct method to have a discriminator based on a more complex
select statement? Thank you!